Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Mailbox Adventure

Yesterday after lunch, I went outside to do what I thought would be a simple task: get the mail. When I opened the mailbox, I see we've received a priority mail package.



This is no shock; Jeremy has been getting at least 1 box pretty much every day for a couple weeks. I casually reach in and grab the box...nothing happens. It doesn't budge. I tug some more, it moves a quarter inch. Is it frozen down? (We did just have snow and ice recently) No, it's only been here a few minutes; that's impossible. I reach in with both hands and tug, realizing it really is that heavy. As I jerk it out of the mailbox, I, with package in hand, stumble to the (cold, icy) ground. Note: As we are out in the country, the mailbox is several yards away from the house and right on the side of the road. So here I stand on the edge of the road, struggling to pick up the box, fearing any moment traffic will be coming and I will get splattered. I finally get it in my arms again and stagger, step by staggering step, up our driveway. Thoughts are running through my head: "Am I really this pathetic? Am I so wimpy I can't carry a box the size of a shoebox?" Every muscle in my arms, back and stomach is straining and aching as I carry the box in both arms in front of me. I finally make it to the door and drop the box on the bench beside our door. I open the door and gasp, "Help me!"
Jeremy: "What's wrong?"
Me: (laughing and gasping) "Take this box inside please!"
Jeremy casually grabs it and then he himself staggers under the weight. Exclaiming over how heavy it is, he carries it into the office and sets it down as we laugh and wonder how a box so small can be so heavy. Then he looks at the postage tag and realizes this box weights 70 lbs. 70 HONKIN' POUNDS, people!!!!!! No wonder it felt heavy. How on earth do you get 70 lbs in a priority mail flat rate box? Well, pretty easy when you fill it with lead bullets. :-p
Now, Jeremy tells me that's only one of the boxes he ordered and the other one will probably be here Tuesday.
I think I'll let him get the mail Tuesday.

4 comments:

Jen said...

HAHA! I know exactly how that is, I have picked up some small boxes and been very suprised how heavy they can be... working in the post office I have learned not to judge a box by its size :P

Anonymous said...

You are sooo funny!! You made my laugh for the day!! I can just picture you sprawled on the ground!! LOL
Lots of Love,
mom

Anonymous said...

1. Wow, 70 pounds???? Oh my goodness!

2. Sorry to hear about the discovery in the kitchen. Were you able to get some insulation in there before Jeremy sheetrocked it? Hopefully that will pay off for you later.

It's fun watching the project come along!

Nicole said...

LOL!!!!! Oh my gosh your post made me laugh! I can't believe you actually managed to carry that box to your house. I struggle with 20 lbs :P